Monday, January 30, 2012

Global Seva: Haiti - Off the Mat, Into the World

I was honored when asked to write a blog for Sweat Equity Magazine, and grateful for their support in 2011 as I took on the challenge that would have a profound effect on all parts of my life.  

Since giving up my full-time career a year and half ago to become a full-time yoga instructor and now Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapist, there have been shifts within from my time on the mat. A deep desire to make a difference somehow (locally or globally).

At the time, I wasn't sure what my action would be or how it would look in my life.  I had heard of "Off the Mat, Into the World"(OTM) and had a friend who raised money for Uganda in 2009.  I asked to meet her for coffee on a cold January day. Somewhere in the middle of our conversation I felt this connection for not only what OTM stood for, but also what they did each year.  It was at that point that everything changed, and I decided to join the Global Seva challenge to raise $20,000 for Haiti and then travel to the area in February 2012. 

“Off the Mat, Into the World” was started by three incredible women: Sean Corne, Suzanne Sterling and Hala Khourig.  This was the fourth year to unite yogis for change. The first 3 countries selected were Cambodia, Uganda, and South Africa.  Over $500,000 was raised for each country and incredible work done.  2011 was all about Haiti, and I mean ALL about Haiti!  I organized events almost every month (yoga events, silent auctions, yard sales, selling coffee, Global Wristbands...ANYTHING that would help my cause!!). I don't think I comprehended the extent of the challenge and impact it would have on my life when I began. But looking back I know that I rose to every challenge and used the tools I had from my life experiences, time on the mat and meditation.   Not to say that there weren't moments of doubt and fear of failure along the way....believe me there WAS! But, I committed on every level, with every cell of my being, and knew that I was the vehicle for others to contribute for change. My efforts would go towards helping the Haitian people regain their lives and create a sustainable life for themselves and generations to come.

Along this path, I was in awe of the generosity of so many businesses and people.  I am not exactly sure how many people and businesses contributed but definitely over 300.

As the deadline was nearing in December, I had moments of panic and will admit, despair.  I was forced to surrender to the divine force and the belief in my heart that I will meet the goal and witness the beginning stages of change in Haiti.  The deadline extended for a few weeks and magically people started donating like it was their challenge too. They were on the ride for Haiti.  I raised $20,000 for Haiti, and in total $370,000 was raised for Haiti!!
The money raised will go towards...
* Micro-financing small businesses and skill development for women and youth
* Building a community centre
* Supporting 2 orphanages and a school
* Rebuilding the water system and cleaning up the rubble still left from the earthquake

With one week till we leave and bags of donated toys, clothes, medical and school supplies to bring with me, the emotions are rising.  I am still in awe of what I accomplished in 2011 and know that the trip will be one of deep transformation on many levels.  I am open to whatever it brings.

I never thought I had it in me to not only be a leader but also be part of the change. I am just overwhelmed with what I have achieved.   It became part of my healing journey, as my heart opened for a greater cause, and in turn for myself and ALL that I am.
With SO much GRATITUDE,
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment